Thursday, April 21, 2011

frozen veishea

I had really been looking forward to taking Hendrix to his first parade.  Veishea is a week-long, campus-wide celebration at Iowa State University, and the grand finale of the week is the parade on Saturday morning.  There are generally lots of participants from various businesses in town, clubs and colleges from campus, and of course, creative floats designed by the houses in the Greek community.   The candy overload is intense.  The colors are vibrant.  The marching band plays.  It is alot of fun.

Here are a few pictures from last year's veishea parade which we attended with some family friends:



 


This year was a bit of a letdown.  The weather was crummy (35 degrees, overcast and very windy), and the parade itself was short and not very noteworthy.  (I wonder if people backed out at the last minute because of the weather?).  We still went.  We bundled up in many layers and froze our rear ends off to sit out there and watch Hendrix's first parade.  I only regret that I have no proof as it was so cold I couldn't get my hubby to take his hands out of his pockets long enough to snap any pictures.  :(  That's okay - we probably would have been grimacing!

After the parade, it did warm up a bit and we walked around campus enjoying some family friendly activities.  Hendrix saw lots of animals in the petting zoo....



and got to see the spring football game (which is just a scrimmage).



I can't wait to take him to some football games this fall.  Our house is just a few blocks from the stadium and it will be a perfect walk!

Veishea, I still love you, but I hope for nicer weather next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i love to hear your feedback! thanks for leaving a comment ;)