Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sweet smelling baby boy!

Last night Hendrix lost his little umbilical cord and the the little plastibell from his circumcision in his diaper in the middle of the night.  We were excited because we had been planning to give him a bath this morning anyways, and this means that we were able to do more of an immersion bath than just a little spongebath.


I would say this picture is a little deceiving because it almost makes it look like he was enjoying it.  On the contrary, he was pretty grumpy about it.  I think he was cold and just wondered what the heck was going on!


Here you can see how he just got kind of scrunched up at the bottom of the tub.  He didn't like being stretched out at all!  He did great though, and it didn't take long at all to get him clean.

  
We wrapped him all snuggly in a towel.  This was after he pooped in the blanket that daddy had carried him into the bathroom wearing.  Also after he pooped in the towel that we wrapped his body in while we were washing his hair.  He then pooped in this towel also while I was trying to get him dressed.  He's a lil' stinker sometimes!  I had to fold back the adorable fish on his towel's hood because it hung all the way down past his chin.  He's still just a little guy!  lol

Well, now that his cord is off, I went to reassess whether we would be ready to transition to cloth diapering.  We have been told that disposables are much better at the very beginning because it lets that cord breathe much better, but now that we have reached that milestone, I would rather not keep buying disposables.  The cloth diapers I have are size small and they are supposed to fit babies starting at just 5 lbs.  Take a look at one of them next to the newborn pampers that he is currently wearing:


I think that whatever 5 lb. baby these diapers are supposed to fit, must be larger than my 5 lb. baby.  It is on the smallest snap setting, and I realize that it wouldn't be a huge deal if is goes all the way up to his armpits (in fact, it might make his clothes fit him better since most of them are a little bit big on him right now!), but the elastic around the legs doesn't get nearly small enough.  I could fit both legs in one leg hole if I wanted it to be snug enough to not leak.  :(  Guess we will have to buy another box of disposables and wait it out.  



Look at this sweet pumpkin after he was all clean and ready for the day!


I think he was posing in this one.  He knows how much mommy likes to take pictures!  :)

Now, I think I should back up a little bit and tell you about our return trip to the hospital yesterday for his first check-up.  The visit was with Homeward, which are the nurses that specialize in lactation counseling, and they wanted to weigh him and watch him nurse to assess how he and I are doing with that.


Daddy was responsible for the hairdo before we left for the appointment.  He and I both are just thrilled that our lil' boy has enough hair to even play with!  I'm hoping he doesn't lose it all........

At the appointment Hendrix was a rockstar!  They weighed him initially and he was up to 5lbs 13.8 oz  (which is a weight gain of 3.8 oz in just two days!).  Then I nursed, and right now he is just going 10 minutes on one side, and then we finish the rest of the feeding with the pumped breastmilk that has had fortified calories added to it.  After that 10 minutes, the nurse weighed him again so we could get some sort of an idea of how much milk he is actually getting - and he was up to 5 lbs 14.7 oz.  That means he got almost a whole ounce!  Currently our goal is to get him to eat about 2 ounces every feeding, though just 1 1/2 ounces would still be enough for him to gain weight.  He is doing better than we expected!




This is what he looks like after he eats.  Really lumpy. :)

Mommy and Daddy are getting used to a lil' less sleep, and are still thinking every single minute is SOOOOO worth it because we have our adorable little Hendrix!


We have our first follow-up visit with his pediatrician tomorrow so I am sure we will have more news to post after that.  In the meantime, I need to go catch some snuggles with my son!


2 comments:

  1. he is just so adorable...I really enjoyed all the pix...thanks for sharing one this days I will come knocking on your door to see and cuddle him...enjoy the precious little one...he is so lucky to have u both....keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't put Hazel in cloth until she was in size 1 diapers, and it's true that those size small FuzziBunz are just too big in the beginning!! It really won't be very long, and you're figuring out so many things that right now it's just easier to stick with disposables. You'll get there!
    -Janice

    ReplyDelete

i love to hear your feedback! thanks for leaving a comment ;)